"It takes barely ten minutes by funicular from Magglingen to cover the 450 m change in altitude. A constantly changing path on a slight upward slope leads towards the Twannberg Mountain. There is nothing spectacular about the entrance to the gorge. But after the first few steps, the scenery changes. The path shows off a series of spectacular passages, crossing the river on adventurous footbridges or following tunnels cut into the rock. The crowning glory of this wonderful hike is a walk in the winemaking village of Twann."
Route No. 1: Biel/Bienne - Magglingen - Twannberg Mountain - Twannbach Gorge - Twann
Duration of section: 3 hrs
Distance: 10 km (6 miles)
Gradient: 514 m
Access: from Biel/Bienne, take the funicular to Magglingen then return from Twann by boat or train.
Route No. 2: La Neuveville - Prêles - Twannbach Gorge - Twann
Duration of section: 3 hrs 35 min.
Distance: 12 km (8 miles)
Gradient: 420 m
This hike is regarded as fairly easy. It does not pose any great difficulty, but it is important to wear good walking shoes. The route is not recommended with a pushchair.
Good to know
- The hiking path through the gorge is open.
- Fee: each year maintenance work is undertaken to ensure the footpath remains through the gorge. The funding is partly provided by an entrance fee of (CHF 2.00).
- Warning: the terrain of the gorge may be very slippery in wet weather.
- At the Twannberg Mountain, stop off at the panoramic terrace of the “Twannberg” hotel and restaurant.
- Funicular Vinifuni between Ligerz and Prêles.
- In Reto's Glas-Atelier (glass factory), visitors will enjoy discovering and observing the work of glassblowers.
DownloadProfile La Neuveville - Twann | JPG, 51 kB
Profile Biel - Twann | PDF, 118 kB
Tourism Biel Seeland
T. +41 (0) 32 329 84 84