Vine Path, Lake Biel
"This tour has fabulous views, which begins less than two kilometers (1¼ miles) outside of Biel/Bienne. After a few hundred meters, you will reach the first spectacular photo opportunity; here you will have a unique view of St. Peter’s Island. From this moment on, the deep blue waters of Lake Biel is a constant companion. Next up, the second attractive motif is waiting to be photographed, in Twann/Douane. The picturesque and rambling alleyways here create a homely atmosphere. You will find a similar atmosphere in Ligerz, whose famous church is probably the most popular photo stop of all. The tour ends in the historic town of La Neuveville – or Neuenstadt, as the German-speaking people of Berne call it. The old town is well worth seeing and an inviting place to stay."
Route: Biel/Bienne - Twann - Ligerz - La Neuveville or vice versa
Duration of section: 3 hrs 10 min.
Distance: 15 km (9 miles)
Gradient: 50 m
Access: from Biel/Bienne station, get bus no. 11 (“Rebenweg/Chemin des vignes” stop). For the return journey, it is possible to get the boat or train from each village on the northern shore of Lake Biel.
This hike is regarded as easy. It is also accessible to wheelchairs and pushchairs.
Good to know
- Each village on the northern shore of Lake Biel is the starting point or destination and worth a detour.
- There is an educational trail about Twann wine in Ligerz.
- Magnificent panoramic views of Lake Biel and St. Peter’s Island.
- Visit the Museum of the Vine (Rebenmuseum) in Ligerz.
- Chance to taste wines and other local specialities.
- Guided tours can be organized in La Neuveville or Biel.
- Most of the road is bituminised.
DownloadProfile of the route | PDF, 122 kB
Tourism Biel Seeland
T. +41 (0) 32 329 84 84